Monday, June 10, 2013

Baby Boy...

In the next few days, I will get to enjoy one of life's pleasures that I have not had up to this point. I'll be getting a nephew. I had the pleasure of finding out that my baby (and only) sister was pregnant on the day before my own due date (5 days prior to delivery), so for a few days... mostly in secret, we were pregnant at the same time. Fast forward 7 months and we are here!

My sister did a great post on welcoming her son... you can read it here.

To try to force myself to be succinct... here's 5 things I hope to teach/share with/offer my nephew.

1. The entertainment value of great movies. Or television shows. The ones that really stick with you. Avery, I'm talking Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Forrest Gump, Monsters Inc., Toy Story, The GummiBears (I have Seasons 1-3 on DVD, so no worries), Friends, etc. Get ready,boy.

2.  How to be a college sports fan. Your dad has soccer covered. Your Uncle John can point out the pleasures in watching a "car race." I'll handle the football, basketball and baseball. Ole Miss Duke, and general SEC fan, you shall be.

3. In a word. . . Food. When you are around, we'll go eat. Often. You may not be "home" much, but I'll go ahead and claim your first Stark's chicken strip basket, Mexican cheese dip, and Krispy Kreme doughnut. Ketchup, cheese, gravy and chocolate... four food groups.

4. First cousins. You already have one, and will likely have several others, on your dad's side, but I am your sole source on your Mama's side. We grew up with ten first cousins, most of whom we are exceptionally close to. Andrew is going to teach you a few things. You'll teach him a few things. Your mama and I will probably separate y'all more than once... sometimes for tying up, sometimes for being thick and thieves and getting into things you shouldn't.

5. How to tell a story. Your Jimmo will cover a good bit of this, and so will your Pop, but I can fill in the gaps. Want to know about the time your mom got Iraq and whale hunting confused? Want to know about Uncle Bob's truck that "got boke?" Want to hear about "dog hebbin," "little ducks in a basket," or "metropolitan ice cream?"... I have you covered.

We are waiting ever so impatiently for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment